Sunday, January 5, 2014

Second Breakfasts


  Yesterday afternoon we had a few fun snacks! First we went to "Charcoal". The sign outside said something like, "if you're not a carnivore, don't bother to come inside". I have to say that I am a carnivore. I have tremendous respect for vegetarians and I know that meat is pretty bad for me, but I really love it. So when I saw that this place had Elk and Buffalo and Kobe beef, I was intrigued. Of course, it wasn't even lunch time. So I went the Hobbit route and decided to have "second breakfast". We ordered two very intriguing appetizers. (Although, I did whisper to John that if I were to order an entree it would be the Kobe Burger which is served on a Hawaiian sweet bun, with Thomasville Tomme cheese, Abita root beer carmelized onions, praline bacon, and more.) 
Our appetizers were really delicious and I was starting to feel like I had some status in the ranks of the foodies of the world. We had boudin balls and hogs head cheese. Both are local and traditional New Orleans favorites and I sensed an approving gleam in the eye of the chef when he slid our appetizers across the counter. 


It was becoming a day of appetizers. John had discovered that The Blind Pelican served 25 cent oysters during Happy Hour. I hadn't been to a Happy Hour since college days when we would go and gorge ourselves on appetizers for a cheap dinner. The experience was a great success and I still can't decide whether I like the raw oysters or the char grilled oysters better. As the saying goes...I guess I like 'em both hot and cold.





No comments:

Post a Comment