I think I might be a food snob or something. I get defensive about folks calling delicious, perfect foods like beignets, donuts. It might have started when I learned that donuts (as in Dunkin' Donuts) was properly spelled doughnuts.
Or maybe it was when I was in line for lokoumathes at the Greek Festival and I enthusiastically told the woman behind me that they were a delicious tradition in my Greek family that revolved around the New Year celebration. And an old Greek woman next to us said, "Ah, they're just Greek doughnuts". First, a delicious, sweet, crispy fried lokoumatha is not JUST anything. And something as pedestrian as a donut? I THINK NOT!
Remember the beignets? Remember my rant about how wrong John was by calling them doughnuts? Well, last night we escaped a rain storm in the Cafe Du Monde and much to my chagrin, the sign before us totally betrayed me. Even the waitress with the cute French accent couldn't rescue me from the painful truth that beignets were called, by their very own creators...French doughnuts.I was forced to eat crow when I reluctantly showed John the sign.

Bittersweet
ReplyDelete